Friday, July 15, 2011

Conquering Fears

I've always loved making things, designing things, and building things. Well, to a certain extent on the building things. I've had a hammer of my own since I was a wee tot, and a few handsaws, electric drill, small jigsaw, etc. but drew the line at using larger power tools. Last week I decided that it was time to learn how to use a larger saw since I was determined to finish a house project by myself--a built-in, custom spice/herb shelf inside our new pantry. Husband got out the DeWalt saber saw, showed me how to use it, and I quickly got the hang of it. I told myself it wasn't any more dangerous than a sewing machine, which I've been using since I was a young girl. That may not be accurate, but whatever--that thought got me past my fears. Within a short period of time, I was sawing away.

I wasn't satisfied with that, though. What you saw apart, must ultimately be nailed together. I've been having more issues with my wrists/hands (carpal tunnel from way back), so didn't relish the idea of building the entire shelf with a hammer and nails. Husband suggested I use the power nailer--which we've had for years, but somehow I missed this point. At any rate, after another short lesson, I was nailing away. I hate to say it, but I am in love. With this:

This little jewel will shoot brads 1.5" long and can be used to build almost anything small that I desire. The sky is the limit, I'm thinking...birdhouses, bookshelves, luxury cat beds. Now I'm thinking, new yard goose. The one the former owners left behind has seen better days. Or maybe I could make some more cut-out wooden cardinals, this time in 3-D! or not.

Oh yes, the results of all this fear conquering...a customized spice cupboard/niche that sits right inside my new kitchen pantry (indicated by blue lines--use your imagination).

The first photo shows the shelves in progress. The little level allowed me to line up the cleats evenly on either side.

I didn't buy any new wood for this. The cleats (parts that hold up the shelves on the sides) were plywood scraps Rudy threw away, the shelves themselves are the wooden headers that are used on the top of the old venetian blinds that were in the house when we bought it. Oh yes, I am a wood scrounger. The outside trim was leftover from the house we built 16+ years ago.


And this is the result. The shelves are primed for now, but will eventually match the baseboard trim.


Oh, and the shelves are adjustable. :-) I can't wait to load 'em up with my jars of dried herbs and spices, bottles of olive oil and vinegar.

And for those of you who have asked...YES! The AC is in and working fine. We have a few (ahem) holes to "button up" and insulate, but survived working for a few weeks without it. It ONLY got up to a balmy 94 inside. (One thing that helped a lot were two new solar attic fans that new friend, Renaissance-Man/Handy-Guy/Artist Tim Trembley installed on the roof for us.)



Happy trails from HOT Texas,

bobbi c.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! I love visitors, and readers, and appreciate the time you spend there. Hope it's enjoyable and fun for you. bobbi c.