Thursday, January 12, 2012

Doors doors doors!

One of the issues with having lots of cats is how to keep them in one part of the house while you're working in another. I know many Realtors thought I was nuts when walking through potential homes because one of the things I made sure to check was the location and number of doors. Like many old houses, our new/old house has LOTS of doors, and since we added a closet, expanded the pantry and added a hallway, we had lots of doors to deal with. Rudy had a lot of fun figuring out which doors to move where, and surprisingly enough, it worked out well. We even have one door left over.

One of the main milestones in our remodeling project in this 1930 cottage was to add a walk-in shower with glass doors. After months of dealing with the plumbing, removing the old tub (which is still sitting in the back yard), adding backerboard and tile, we were finally ready for the local glass company (Floyd's Glass in Taylor) to come install doors. They had them in pronto and were finished in about an hour (as well as repairing a piece of broken window glass). Well, let me just say that I'm tickled pink!


This photo shows the shower doors as you walk into the bathroom. The glass is called "Rain" and looks just like rain streaking down a window. Hmmm, did I subconsciously choose that because of the drought we're in? I see a theme here. LOL


This is the left-hand side of the doors.


And the middle and right-hand side bottom. I was skeptical how the white shower pan would look, but it actually looks pretty good. Now, after we add the baseboards back in and paint and install the chair railing trim (which will cover the line between the green and tan paint) the bathroom will be finished.


Another door we had to add back on was the linen closet door in the bathroom. Most of the doors had to be removed when we put in the floor tile. Also, now that the house has an AC, we had to cut a few inches off each door for air flow -- something that is critical and that not a lot of people seem to do.


Here's the utility room door from the inside.


And the same door from inside the dining room. You can see the pantry door to the right. Ironically enough, my father built a corner cabinet out of pine the year I was born and my mother decorated it with those fruity decals that were so popular then. If I measured correctly, it will fit right there in that back corner -- the ONLY corner in the whole house that's not filled with a window. Over the past 55+ years, that cabinet has always been in one dining room or another and I cannot wait to move it over here!


And to the left you can see the back door. Lots of doors, I told ya!


And since I can't help myself, I had to hang something up on that blank wall. Here's a handmade spring floral wreath I made last year for the front door. Purty, ain't it?

So, we still need to install the door frame and door for the AC closet, and the BIG door project, which is to replace the antique french doors that came out of the former living room (we switched rooms around). We're moving them one room over so that they'll be the opening between the kitchen and the living room.

Once that's done, the house will be cat-proof and we won't have any other excuses not to move in! Well, other than the fact that we haven't packed much of anything. :-D

Happy trails!

bobbi c.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! I love visitors, and readers, and appreciate the time you spend there. Hope it's enjoyable and fun for you. bobbi c.